최고관리자 | February 17, 2014 | view 1,123
2007 l The Omertaic Look Into Pee l Baekgon 

The Omertaic Look Into Pee
Baekgon(Curator from Loop)

The Godfather(1972), directed by Francis Ford Coppola, tells the story about the brutal in the Corleone Mafia Family (the immigrants from Sicily) wrapped with the humanity. Its narrative consists in relentless betrayals and revenges. And, of course, it costs any betrayer his life. The final destiny of a resistant breaking the code of silence is being killed. Omerta is the code of silence in Mafia, as a secret oath of ‘never telling others about family business.’ It is about the family members’ duty of not cooperating with police in any circumstance. It is always death which the breaker of code of silence has in the end. Thus “Omerta” implies that there have been always the endless conflicts and clashes between keepers and breakers on this code of silence.
<Omerta – Code of Silence>, the 4th Solo Exhibition of Jia Chang, broaches a tacitly-consented-social-rule. She officially speaks out and confronts the code built only by men in our society. I think that she wants to reveal two things out in this exhibition. Firstly, she questions the foundation of the code that only men can stand up peeing. She thinks that it does not result from our approval of the difference between men and women, but from our acquiescence in different social behavioral patterns evolved from that difference. Secondly, she challenges the prejudice that urine is filthy. She starts from showing the scenes of women’s standing up peeing, and proceeds to present the photos developed with urine-mixed-fixer as well as the objects coated with urine-salt. And she even requests her spectators to play with them. 
I can remember the faces of my colleagues when I have first lifted up her urine-stained-drawing with my gloved hands. They seemed to be unable to make up their minds whether to frown at that dirty thing or to smile at that honorable artwork. Neither was I. But she acts fair and square to urine, putting her idea into action. She thinks that one’s avoidance of talking about it, thinking that it is filthy, only comes from the structure of social recognition of it. However, though we, plainly speaking, completely understand what it means to talk about women’s standing up peeing and pee itself not in a restroom but in an ordinary place, we naturally tend to think that many spectators would frown at her works. This might be because people must react bodily first, rather than listen to reason, to its stink and the nuance of “excrement.” And I believe that Chang also knows the fact well.
But there is one thing that we must notice in her works. To speak out omerta, she never takes the existing ideological ways to tell, like the feministic or structural antagonism against it. She makes her own unique way to tell it. She shows omerta just as it is. As I wrote above, the implication of omerta is the continuance of the conflicts and clashes between the affirmative and the dissident side. She wants to tell about omerta by revealing the conflicts and clashes it implies just the way as they are. Thus, to break the existing code of silence in our society, Chang creates a new omerta of her own. Her omerta is not about subversion of the power structure of our society, neither is one about our prejudice. 
All things she demonstrates in this exhibition are socially educated and forced codes. But her demonstration should be read showing rather that it is uneasy for women to stand up peeing, not that women can do it. And her making spectators play with the objects will emphasize the filthiness of urine. Thus her demonstration, on the contrary of subverting, is making spectators to recognize what our society agrees, and giving a notice of the existence and boundary of the social structure already existing in our society, not resisting against them. By telling about borderline case like women’s standing up peeing, she conversely tells about what our society can accept and cannot accept.
After all, she tells us ironically that omerta can be sustained by being broken. Her violating omerta can be interpreted as a behavioral notice to accept that there is its criterion and boundary. However, we should make it clear that ‘to accept,’ mentioned just before does not mean that she wants to advance further than those and suggest new ones. We should better to know that her acceptance makes the permissible boundary of its criterion in our society more intelligible. In other words, Chang does not want to subvert the code of silence of our society, but she wants us to see where its permissible boundary is located. I am sure that all that she invented with pee in this exhibition reveals her own way to understand where the boundary of social acceptance is, so I want to conclude that she uses ‘omerta’ as the device of recognizing it.
Mario Puzo, the writer of its original novel, wrote <Omerta> as his last work. In this novel, Puzo describes how police uses Mafias to exterminate them, and raises an ethical question regarding where we can establish the threshold to decide the legitimate and the illegitimate. As reply to his question, we can say that a tacit of a society is an omerta which is just usually forced to its members in order to maintain it. Chang, through this exhibition about omerta, wants us to recognize that the rules we already have are not the only right answers to our society. If so, then we need to reconsider the criterion and the boundary of our omerta. And her works, I believe, can show us ‘a’ way to reach this reconsideration.

오줌에 대한 오메르타(Omerta)적 시선
백곤(대안공간 루프 큐레이터)

프란시스 포드 코폴라(Francis Ford Coppola) 감독의 영화‘대부 The Godfather(1972)는 시칠리아 섬 출신의 꼴리오네 가문을 중심으로 하는 마피아 세계의 비정함과 죽고 죽이는 인간사를 가족의 휴머니티로 포장하여 보여준다. 이 영화의 내러티브는 배신과 배반, 그리고 그에 대한 끊임없는 복수로 이루어져있다. 응당 복수는 죽음이다. 죽임으로 배신자를 처단하는 일, 그것은 암묵적으로 정해놓은 규칙에 대항하는 자에 대한 최후이다. 마피아 세계의 언어로 알려진 오메르타(Omerta)는 침묵의 맹세로서 ‘조직의 비밀을 절대로 발설해서는 안 된다’라는 엄격한 규율을 나타내는 단어이다. 그것은 어떠한 상황에서도 경찰에 절대로 협력하지 않는다는 자신의 의무에 대한 규칙이다. 그 침묵의 규칙을 깨는 자에 대해서는 언제나 죽음이라는 보복이 뒤따랐다. 이렇게 법칙을 유지하려는 자와 그 규칙을 깨고 새로운 규칙을 세우려는 자들의 끊임없는 충돌과 대립이 오메르타라는 단어에 내포되어있는 것이다 
Omerta-침묵의 계율’이라는 지아의 네 번째 개인전은 암묵적으로 합의된 규칙에 대한 이야기이다. 장지아는 사회적 규칙에 대해 대항하고 공개적으로 그것에 대해 발설한다. 그 오메르타를 깨는 두 가지 기제는 사회의 남성적 규율과 금기에 대한 것이다. 그녀는 남자들이 서서 오줌을 눈다는 행위에 대해 의문을 제기한다. 그것은 단지 남녀의 신체적 다름이라는 사실 인정이 아닌, 그 차이가 지닌 사회적 체계에 대한 암묵적인 합의의 구조를 보여준다. 또한 그녀는 오줌이 불결하다는 사회적 금기에 대해 도전한다. 그녀는 이렇게 여성이 서서 오줌을 누는 행위에서 시작하여 오줌 결정체로 사물을 튀김하고, 오줌을 가지고 사진의 픽서티브로 사용하고, 심지어 오줌 오브제를 만지고 놀기를 요청하기도 한다. 전시를 준비하면서 그녀가 처음으로 들고 온 오줌 묻힌 드로잉 도화지를 흰 장갑을 끼고 높이 들었을 때 사무실에 있는 모든 사람들의 표정이 생각난다. 인상을 찌푸리고 무엇인가 혐오스러운 불결함을 경험하는 순간과 작품을 인정하고 존중해줘야 하는 입장 사이에서의 갈등의 표정, 물론 나 또한 그러했다. 하지만 장지아는 오줌 앞에 당당하였고, 오줌이 불결하고 오줌에 대해 말하기를 꺼리는 것이 우리의 사회적 인식 규칙에 의한 것임을 행동으로 말해주고 있었다. 하지만 솔직하게 말해 작가가 설정한‘여자가 서서 오줌을 눈다는 것’과‘오줌’이라는 배설물을 화장실에서 벗어나 일상에서 거론한다는 것의 의미를 완벽히 이해한다고 하더라도 많은 사람들이 실제로 얼굴을 찌푸리게 되는 것은 사실이다. 그것은 바로 오줌 지린내와 배설물이라는 단어가 인간의 이성보다 먼저 신체에 반응하는 것임에 틀림없기 때문이다. 물론 작가도 이러한 것들을 알고 자신의 신체가 그것들에 반응함도 안다.
하지만 왜 그녀는 이러한 사회적으로 합의된 오줌이라는 오메르타에 대해 이야기 하는 것일까? 벌써부터 코끝에서 지린내가 느껴지는 듯한 이 오줌이 작가에게는 왜 중요한 것일까? 앞서 오메르타의 의미가 법칙을 유지하려는 자와 그 규칙을 깨려는 자의 충돌과 대립을 이야기한다고 하였다. 장지아는 현 사회의 암묵적인 규칙을 깨고 장지아만의 새로운 오메르타를 만들었다. 그것은 바로 구조의 권력에 대한 것도 아니고 금기에 대한 것도 아니다. 전시장 안에서 이루어지는 모든 것들이 사회적으로 교육되고 각인된 것임을 고스란히 보여주는 이러한 대립 구도는 여성도 서서 오줌을 눌 수 있다고 말하는 것이 아니라 차라리 여성은 서서 오줌을 누기 힘들다는 것을 보여줌에 가깝다. 또한 오줌이라는 매체를 통한 놀이는 오줌이 불결의 상징임을 더욱 드러나게 한다. 결국 사회적으로 합의된 것들에 대한 인식을 요구하는 작가의 작업은 사회 체계의 가치판단에 대한 저항이 아니라 반대로 그것의 인정에 있으며, 사회 체계의 합의를 유지하는 것은 바로 오메르타를 깨는 것에 있다고 말한다. 규칙이라는 것은 그 규칙을 깨는 것에 의해서 유지된다. 그것은 궁극적으로 금기와 사회적 배반에 대한 기준점이 있다는 것을 인식하고 인정한다는 의미를 지닌다. 물론 여기에서 인정한다는 의미가 그 구조를 다른 구조로 대체한다는 것이 결코 아니다. 인정은 그러한 규칙이나 구조의 기준이 어디에서부터 출발하며 어디에서 끝이 나는가 하는 범위에 대한 것이다. 작가는 작품을 통해 침묵의 계율을 부정하고자 하는 것이 아니라 계율에 대한 범위를 이야기 하고자 하는 것이다. 오줌을 가지고 놀이를 하는 모든 것들이 그녀가 사회구조의 범위를 인정하는 인식 체계의 한 방법임을 나는 그녀의 작품을 통해 느낄 수 있었다. 그녀는 이렇게 체계 바깥의 또 다른 범위를 인식하기 위한 기제로 오메르타의 법칙을 사용한 것이다. 작가에게 오메르타는 바로 법칙을 깨고 그 법칙의 범위를 파악하여 다른 층위의 규율들이 가지는 힘을 비교, 분석 할 수 있는 가치판단의 기준점이 되는 것이다.   
영화‘대부’의 원작 소설 저자인 마리오 푸조 (Mario Puzo)는 마지막 작품으로 <오메르타>를 썼다. 푸조는 소설에서 경찰이 마피아를 처단하기 위해 마피아를 이용하는 합법에 대해 이야기 한다. 결국 작가는 규칙과 비 규칙의 기준은 어떻게 결정이 되는 것인가라는 도덕적인 가치판단에 대해 묻는다. 암묵적인 규칙이라는 것이 결국 사회를 지속시켜나가는 수단으로 인간에게 각인시키는 하나의 오메르타인 것이다. 사실 오메르타라는 단어는 마피아들만의 언어가 아닌, 외세의 침략을 많이 받았던 곳에서의 독립운동 투쟁을 하기 위한 하나의 전략적 의미로 사용되었다. 또한 영화‘대부’의 등장인물이 실존 인물을 묘사한 것이 아니냐? 라는 것에 대한 푸조의 대답은 일곱 자녀를 억척으로 키워낸 강인한 어머니가 모델이었다고 말했다. 작가 장지아가 남성적 사회와 금기의 규칙에 대한 이야기인 오메르타를 통해 우리가 인식해야 할 것은 현재의 규칙이 반드시 체제를 유지하기 위한 정답이 아니라는 것이다. 그렇다면 이제 그 인식의 규칙을 깨는 것과 유지하는 것 사이의 범위 규정과 기준점을 어떻게 설정할 것인가에 대한 많은 고민들이 필요하다. 그래서 우리는 장지아라는 작가의 작품을 통해 그 기준들이 어떻게 표현되고 있는지 세심히 살펴보아야 할 필요가 있는 것이다