ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ | February 17, 2014 | view 4,655
2007 l CHANG jia l OMERTA-The Mute Consent l Artist's Statement 
My exhibition, <OMERTA-The Mute Consent>, is composed of the photos of women who are urinating in the standing-up pose and other objects using urine as a major medium such as a tree structure with glass balls containing urine which is distilled and watering plants and some urine objects which were made by attaching salt crystals to women¡¯s items. The urinating women in my works have various types of bodies of different shapes and ages. Their faces are covered and the photographs are rather focused on the act of peeing itself. However, the women¡¯s poses seem somewhat unstable, which might have been caused by their unconscious uneasiness in mind not to let fall the urine drops on their legs. Peeing in the exhibition hall is not a big deal. But, why do these scenes make people feel uncomfortable to look at? Is it wrong for women to pee standing up? Someone says that women have the physical structure which does not allow them to urinate in a standing up position.I remember imitating boys¡¯ peeing posture out of curiosity a couple of times when I was young. I could not make it at that time. Like me, most women already know that urinating in the standing up position is impossible for them because of their physical structure. However, this is because not just of the fear not to wet their bodies but of the idea that women and men are physically different has been fixed in their mind since young. From time to time, I¡¯ve been told that men should also pee sitting down not to stain the toilet with their urine drops. This could be actually happening at homes where wives have strong power but it sounds pretty unfamiliar to me.I hope that my 4thsolo exhibition could be a starting point where new buds can begin to grow from the excretion of deviation. The seeds growing on the cotton wool soaked with urine, the salt content forming a beautiful salt pillar. The impossible possibility these things are creating is about a something spiritual which does not really exist like utopia but only to be realized through our imagination. The exhibition hall becomes a ¡®non-existing place¡¯ made up with body wastes in the pictures. Like underground secret meeting place, it becomes the stronghold of ¡®Omerta,¡¯ the mute consent, which should be kept secret from the general public. 

À̹ø <OMERTA-ħ¹¬ÀÇ °èÀ²>î÷Àº ¼­¼­ ¿ÀÁÜÀ» ´©´Â ¿©¼ºÀÇ ¸ð½À°ú ±× ¿ÀÁÜÀ̶ó´Â ¸Åü¸¦ ¿ÀºêÁ¦·Î È°¿ëÇÑ ¿©·¯ ÀÛÇ°µé·Î ±¸¼ºµÈ´Ù. ³ª¹«·Î »ó¡µÇ´Â ÇüÅ¿¡ °É·ÁÀÖ´Â ¸µ°Å º´ ¼Ó¿¡ µé¾îÀÖ´Â ¿ÀÁÜÀÌ Áõ·ùÀÇ °úÁ¤À» °ÅÃÄ ½Ä¹°¿¡°Ô ¼öºÐÀ» °ø±ÞÇÏ°í, ±× ¼öºÐÀ¸·Î ½Ä¹°ÀÌ Ä¿°¡´Â ¸ð½ÀÀÌ Àִ°¡ Çϸé, ¿©¼ºµéÀÌ ÀÚÁÖ »ç¿ëÇÏ´Â ¹°°Çµé¿¡ ¼Ò±Ý°áÁ¤Ã¼¸¦ ºÙ¿© ³Ö¾î ¸¸µç ¿ÀÁÜ ¿ÀºêÁ¦µéµµ ÀÖ´Ù
ÀÛÇ° ¼Ó¿¡ µîÀåÇÏ´Â ¼­¼­ ¿ÀÁÜÀ» ´©´Â ¿©¼ºÀÇ ¸ð½ÀÀº Á¦°¢±â ´Ù¸¥ üÇü°ú ¿¬·ÉÀÇ ¸öÀ» º¸¿©ÁØ´Ù. ¶ÇÇÑ ±×³àµéÀÇ ¾ó±¼Àº °¡·ÁÁ® ÀÖÀ¸¸ç »çÁøÀº º¼ÀÏÀ» º¸´Â ÇàÀ§¿¡ ÃÊÁ¡ÀÌ ¸ÂÃçÁ® ÀÖ´Ù. ±×·±µ¥ ±×³àµéÀÇ ÀÚ¼¼°¡ ¾îµòÁö ºÒ¾ÈÁ¤ÇØ º¸ÀδÙ. ±×°ÍÀº ÀÚÄ©ÇÏ´Ù°£ »çŸ±¸´Ï°¡ ¶ß²öÇÏ°Ô Àû¼ÅÁú ¼öµµ ÀÖ´Ù´Â ¹«ÀǽÄÀûÀÎ ºÒ¾È°¨ÀÌ ±×·¯ÇÑ ÀÚ¼¼·Î ³ªÅ¸³ª°Ô µÈ °ÍÀÌ´Ù. Àü½ÃÀå¿¡¼­ ¿ÀÁÜÀ» ´«´Ù´Â °ÍÀÌ ±×´ÙÁö Å« »ç°Çµµ ¾Æ´Ò °Í °°Àºµ¥, ÀÌ Àå¸éÀÌ ¿Ö À̸® º¸´Â »ç¶÷ÀÇ ¸¶À½À» ºÒÆíÇÏ°Ô ¸¸µå´Â °ÍÀϱî? ¿©¼ºµéÀÌ ¼­¼­ ¿ÀÁÜÀ» ´«´Ù´Â °ÍÀÌ À߸øµÈ °ÍÀϱî? ´©±º°¡´Â ¿©¼ºÀÌ ½ÅüÀûÀ¸·Î Àý´ë ¼­¼­ ¿ÀÁÜÀ» ´­ ¼ö ¾ø´Â ±¸Á¶¸¦ °¡Á³´Ù°í ÇÑ´Ù.
³»°¡ ¾î·ÈÀ» ¶§, ³²ÀÚ¾ÆÀ̵éÀÌ ¿ì¸®¿Í´Â ´Ù¸£°Ô º¼ÀÏÀ» º¸´Â ¸ð½À¿¡ È£±â½ÉÀÌ »ý°Ü ¸î ¹ø µû¶ó ÇØ º¸·Á°í ÇßÁö¸¸, °á±¹ ½ÇÆзΠ³¡³­ ±â¾ïÀÌ ÀÖ´Ù. ÀÌ·¸°Ô ³ªÃ³·³ ´ëºÎºÐÀÇ ¿©¼ºµéÀº ½Åü±¸Á¶»ó ¼­¼­ º¼ÀÏÀ» º»´Ù´Â °ÍÀÌ ºÒ°¡´ÉÇÏ´Ù´Â °ÍÀ» ÀÌ¹Ì ¾Ë°í ÀÖ´Ù. ±×°ÍÀº ´ÜÁö ¾Æ·§µµ¸®¸¦ ´Ù Àû½Ç ¼ö ÀÖ´Ù´Â ºÒ¾È°¨ ¶§¹®¸¸ÀÌ ¾Æ´Ï¶ó ÀÌ¹Ì ±× ¾î¸° ³ªÀ̺ÎÅÍ ³²¼º°ú ¿©¼ºÀÇ ½Åü°¡ ´Ù¸£´Ù¶ó´Â ÀÏÁ¾ÀÇ °æ°èÁö¿òÀÌ °¢ÀεǾî¿Ô±â ¶§¹®ÀÏ °ÍÀÌ´Ù.
¿äÁòÀº ³²ÀÚµéÀÌ ¼Òº¯À» º¼ ¶§ º¯±âÁÖº¯¿¡ ¿ÀÁÜÀÌ Æ¤´Ù¸ç ³²Àڵ鵵 ¾É¾Æ¼­ º¼ÀÏÀ» ºÁ¾ß ÇÑ´Ù°í ÇÏ´Â À̾߱⸦ µè°ï ÇÑ´Ù. ºÎÀÎÀÇ ¹ß¾ð±ÇÀÌ ¼¾ °¡Á¤¿¡¼­³ª ÀÖÀ» ¹ýÇÑ ÀÏÀÌ°ÚÁö¸¸, ¾Æ¹«Æ° ÀÌ·± À̾߱âµéÀº ºÐ¸í Áö±Ý±îÁö¿Í´Â ´Ù¸¥ »ý°æÇÑ Ç³°æÀÌ °¡Á®¿Ô´Ù.
³ªÀÇ ³× ¹ø° °³ÀÎÀüÀº ¹Ù·Î ÀÏÅ»ÀÇ ¹è¼³¹°ÀÌ »õ·Î¿î »ý¸íÀ» ½ÏÀ» Æ·¿ì´Â Ãâ¹ßÁ¡ÀÌ µÉ ¼ö Àֱ⸦ ¹Ù¶õ´Ù. ¿ÀÁÜ¿¡ Âîµç ¼Ø À§¿¡¼­ Àڶ󳪶ó´Â ¾¾¾Ñµé, ¾Æ¸§´Ù¿î Çü»óÀÇ ¼Ò±Ý±âµÕÀÌ µÇ¾î°¡´Â ¿°ºÐµé. À̰͵éÀÌ ¸¸µé¾î³»´Â ºÒ°¡´ÉÇÑ °¡´É¼º. ±×°ÍÀº ¸¶Ä¡ À¯ÅäÇǾÆó·³ ¾îµð¿¡µµ ¾øÁö¸¸ »ó»ó¸¸À¸·Î °¡´ÉÇÑ ±× Á¤½ÅÀûÀÎ ¹«¾ùÀΰ¡¿¡ ´ëÇÑ °ÍÀÌ´Ù. Àü½ÃÀå ¾ÈÀº »çÁø ¼Ó ¹è¼³¹°·Î ÀÌ·ç¾îÁø ¡®Á¸ÀçÇÏÁö ¾Ê´Â Àå¼Ò¡¯°¡ µÈ´Ù. ¸¶Ä¡ ÁöÇÏ ºñ¹Ð Àå¼Òó·³ ÀϹÝÀûÀÎ »ç¶÷µé¿¡°Ô ´©¼³µÇ¾î¼­´Â ¾ÈµÇ´Â ħ¹¬ÀÇ °èÀ² ¡®Omerta¡¯ÀÇ º»°ÅÁö°¡ µÇ´Â °Íó·³ ¸»ÀÌ´Ù.